Home > Iran Blog > Iran Tourism News > Choghaznabil Zush Ziggurat; A positive point in the history of Iran Login / Register

Choghaznabil Zush Ziggurat; A positive point in the history of Iran

Watching a temple built about 1250 years ago evokes a sense of excitement and pride; The building is an ancient shrine and shows the originality and civilization in ancient Iran. Choghaznabil Ziggurat of Susa , also known as the Anahita Temple, is the subject of our discussion. Join us in reading this article to know where the Choghaznabil Temple is and to become more familiar with the dimensions of the Choghaznabil Ziggurat plan.

Choghaznabil Shush Ziggurat in the southwest of the country, 40 km from the ancient city Shush And is located 35 km west of the ancient city Shushtar . The temple of Anahita is called Ziggurat dur untash in Elamite and is called Choghaznabil. The ziggurat comes from the Akkadian Sami Nok, meaning the summit of a mountain and a high place. In Iran, the pronunciation of this word is taken from Roman Gershman articles and it is called ziggurat. This amazing phenomenon is called by archaeologists around Ontesh or Ontesh Fortress. It is far from Elamite and means place and home, and Ontash is the name of its founding king.

The Choghaznabil ziggurat of Susa was built about 1250 years ago by Ontash Gal, king of the Middle Elamite period, in praise of the god Inshushinak, the guardian of Susa, in a city called Dur Ontash. The temple was located in the center of three fences. The Temple of Anahita and the surrounding temples are all enclosed by a sacred fence, which Gershman used the Greek word Temnos for. The perimeter fence of the area is about 1625 meters, which includes the Choghaznabil building on the sides of 20/20 and 20/55 in a rectangular shape. The ziggurat was made in two steps; In the beginning, it was a square building with a central courtyard, the plan of which resembles a large warehouse with a holeless room.

Between each side of the walls was an entrance that led to a courtyard with a deeper floor, which was used for rituals and religious ceremonies. In 1250 BC, Ontash Napirsha decided to turn this one-story temple into a massive five-story building. These five floors were reduced from the bottom to the top like a pyramid, and the highest floor belonged to the two patron deities of Susa Napirisha and Inshushink. Of those 5 floors with a height of 52 meters, only 2.5 floors with a height of 25 meters remained. The temple of Anahita was destroyed and buried in the bloody attack of the Assyrian army of Banipal along with the Elamite civilization.

In 1890, the famous geologist Jacques de Morgan announced that there was an oil well in this place, and following this report, the first Iranian oil company was formed. Fifty years later, engineers working in the area found bricks with inscriptions on them. After that, excavations were carried out in the plan of Choghaznabil Ziggurat, which led to the discovery of this huge temple. For centuries, the building was buried in an inverted basket until it was excavated by the Frenchman Roman Gershman during the second Pahlavi period. Although the emergence of this monument has brought Iranian civilization and culture to the world more and more, but after about 50 years, it is being destroyed and natural factors have played an important role in this regard.

Where is the Choghaznabil Temple? You should know that this unique building was the first Iranian work to be inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1979.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *