Perhaps mosques and religious sites are one of the most numerous historical buildings in the country, built after the advent of Islam. Today, most of these mosques narrate the type of architecture and historical atmosphere of their time. One of these mosques left from the distant past, Shiraz Atiq Grand Mosque It is also called Juma Mosque or Adineh Mosque. In addition to the historical architecture, the Atiq Grand Mosque of Shiraz is also famous for two other aspects, which we will discuss in the following. Join us in this interesting and readable article to inform you about the architectural dimensions of Atiq Mosque in Shiraz and also the address of Atiq Mosque in Shiraz.
Address of Atiq Mosque in Shiraz: Shiraz, Sibouyeh Blvd., Hazrati St.
One of the reasons for the architectural fame of the Atiq Mosque in Shiraz, in addition to its antiquity, was its construction on an old place of worship that belonged to another religion and is probably a fire place from ancient times. It seems that some places on the planet have a special spirit and energy that become a place of worship and pilgrimage in every age. This mosque that Haram Shahcheragh is also in its vicinity and one of Its numerous entrances are from inside this shrine, including the same rule.
It is interesting to know that the last restoration that was done on the section of Al-Mushaf or the Khodakhaneh of the mosque dates back to seventy years ago, that is, 1326 AH, which was done by the Archaeological Department with the help of Sayyid Agha Bozorg, a calligrapher, Mohammad Javad Wajid, poet. , Dear Sirafat Architect, Seyed Hashem Kashi Kar and Rahim Samim Hajar. The first restoration that was recorded dates back to the middle of the sixth century AH. During this period, the Atabaks of Persia ruled this region during the weak Seljuk rule.
In 817 AH, another reconstruction was carried out on the Atiq Grand Mosque. During these years, the greatest and most powerful king of the Timurids, Shahrokh Gurkhani, ruled this land. During the Safavid period, due to the devotion of the Safavid kings to the Shiite school and their extraordinary respect for religious places and buildings, the mosque was rebuilt and restored several times; In 973 AH and during the reign of Shah Tahmasb I Safavid, in 1026 AH during the reign of Shah Abbas Kabir or in 1092 AH and during the reign of Shah Suleiman the Safavid.
The second factor that has increased the architectural reputation of the Atiq Grand Mosque of Shiraz is the name of Hafez Shirazi itself tied to the architecture of the Atiq Mosque of Shiraz. According to documents and narrations, Hazrat Hafez recited the Qur’an every Friday night in the mosque and apparently had a vow to himself that was never broken. Some scholars consider the reason for the weekly presence of the unseen tongue to be an order issued by Shah Ishaq here and made him in charge of the Dar al-Mus’haf. Since Hafez Shirazi had a job as a clerk and made a living this way, he was required to carry out orders. But whether Hafez came to the covenant or his order, his soul and his presence after several centuries are still felt and understood in the architecture section of Shiraz Atiq Mosque.
Perhaps the most famous part of the mosque is the Dar al-Mus’haf or the House of God, which is built exactly in the center and at a height of one meter. This building made of stone and plaster is also known as the Gate of Time, the Second Kaaba and Jerusalem, and in the past it was believed that the staff of the Prophet Moses was buried in the shrine; The room in the middle of Dar al-Mus’haf is 6 meters wide and 8 meters long, and one of its porches is 10 meters wide and 12 meters long. Four carved and carved Mogharnas columns support the roof of the west and east porches. On top of each of these pillars there is a piece of stone in the shape of an altar on which Islamic lines and flowers and shrubs were worked.
The roof of the south and north porches is also supported by two circular columns. The Dar al-Mus’haf is actually a building similar to the Kaaba
It seems that this part of the architecture of the Atiq Mosque in Shiraz was like a printing house. Since the printing industry had not yet emerged at that time, in addition to reciting the Qur’an, they were also engaged in writing and transcribing the Qur’an. But the main reason for naming this building as Dar al-Mus’haf is the existence of several Qurans in the script of Imam Ali (AS), Imam Ja’far Sadegh (AS) and Imam Hassan Mojtaba (AS) and several companions and followers who They have decorated the name of Dar al-Mus’haf. Of course, in the Dar al-Mus’haf of the Atiq Mosque in Shiraz, there is also a Qur’an written in the script of Uthman, the third caliph of the Muslims, and several drops of blood were dripped on it when Uthman was killed.
The sign of a cypress with blue tiles on a wall in the southern part of the Atiq Grand Mosque in Shiraz, indicates the wall of Nadbia. In the narrations of the past, it was said that Baraq, the ink that led the Prophet (PBUH) to Ascension, moved from this place and took the Prophet to the night journey of Ascension from Masjid al-Haram ta Masjid al-Aqsa won.
In the northern part of the architecture of the Atiq Grand Mosque of Shiraz, there is a high arch which is known as the Pearl Arch. The Mogharnas roof and two very beautiful garlands adorn the pearl arch. The access path to the roof and the spiers is a row of stairs and the line of writing on the tiles, which is written in Surah Hal-Ati, is another interior beauty of this arch. In the east of this arch, there is a nave 17 meters wide and 30 meters long, which of course is part of two floors and has a width of 5 and a half meters. All the walls of this nave at the address of the Atiq Mosque in Shiraz have tiles that are decorated with verses, hadiths, Islamic lines and flowers and shrubs. This nave has five iron lattice doors and a stone altar.
In the twelve Imams and the western side
In the northern part of the architecture of the old mosque of Shiraz, there is a door with four inscriptions between the piers on both sides. On these inscriptions on the head of the door, the names of the twelve Imams are engraved and caused this head to be known as the twelve Imams in Mogharnas.
The entrance of the western side of the Atiq Grand Mosque in Shiraz can be called the most important entrance of this place, because this entrance is from Shahcheragh shrine and has porches with ten openings. The head is decorated with tiles, mosaics and Yazdi and has an inscription on the tiles with a large line and in the style of a third where intelligence is lost. On this inscription is engraved the year 1027 AH and next to this inscription, on another inscription is engraved the date of restoration of the old Grand Mosque in Shiraz, which dates back to the year 1026 AH.
courtyard, south arch and nave
An area of 1672 square meters with marble stones forms the courtyard. The large Sangabs located in the entrance corridors of the courtyard were places that were filled with water for the ablution of the worshipers of the Atiq Mosque in Shiraz. At present, one of these Sangabs, whose inner diameter is about one meter, is at the entrance Pars Museum and you can see Quranic verses and Islamic motifs around it .
The large facade arch, which is located on the south side, was destroyed and rebuilt in 1348 AH. But the narrow nave, which is located behind this arch and has a brick roof, dates back to the time of Shah Tahmasb I. The two-story building and the third line inscription are among the beauties of this nave, and the two spiral columns and the Mogharnas roof made of azure tiles are the characteristics of the altar of this beautiful nave. On top of this altar, the names of five people are adorned with two verses from the Holy Quran written next to Surah Tawhid in Naskh script. The old nave is located in the eastern part of the nave, which is called forty columns and is 45 meters long and 32 meters wide. The reason for the fame of this section to forty columns is the existence of forty cubic columns measuring 2 meters by 2 meters and the year 930-984 AH is engraved on it.
East side and new and original nave
There is a long and wide arch on this side of the old mosque, which has special tiles made by Iranian men. To the north, there are four smaller arches with porches and stairs. Shabestani is also located in this place, which today has become an unused ruin and in the years 1358 to 1361 AH was a place for the library and cultural center of the Atiq Mosque in Shiraz. There are several inscriptions of surahs such as Friday and purification on the porch of its three openings, one of which leads to the alleys between the two holy shrines.
There is a large nave in the western part of the address of Atiq Mosque in Shiraz, in the western part of the address of Chehel Soton, which according to the common architecture used in other buildings of Atiq Mosque in Shiraz has tiles and inscriptions in the third line and copies. Existence of thirteen verses and prophetic hadiths on the inscriptions of this section are the special features of this 12-column nave, the columns of which are made of concrete. A pulpit with twelve steps made of marble and iron is located on the left side of the altar of this nave.